Please Note: This Task Force is no longer meeting. Information on this page is for reference only.
Purpose and Responsibilities
The Environmental Justice Task Force is responsible for recommending strategies for incorporating environmental justice principles into future State agency actions across Washington. This task force will meet over a 16-month period, and will produce a final report due to the legislature and Governor by October 31, 2020 that must include:
- Guidance for using the Washington Environmental Health Disparity Map to identify communities that are highly impacted by environmental justice issues with current demographic data.
- Best practices for increasing meaningful and inclusive community engagement that takes into account barriers to participation that may arise due to race, color, ethnicity, religion, income, or education level.
- Measurable goals for reducing environmental health disparities for each community in Washington state and ways in which state agencies may focus their work towards meeting those goals.
- Model policies that prioritize highly impacted communities and vulnerable populations for the purpose of reducing environmental health disparities and advancing a healthy environment for all residents.
Task Force Goal
To improve health outcomes, especially within communities that are most severely and frequently impacted by environmental health hazards in the state. The Task Force will work diligently to center the voices of those who belong to communities that are most impacted by environmental justice issues throughout its work.
Defining Environmental Justice
The Environmental Protection Agency defines environmental justice as, “…the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income, with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies.”
See this video explaining the disproportionate impacts of environmental burdens on people with low incomes and people of color. For more information on environmental justice please visit the Environmental Protection Agency’s website.
A proviso in the 2019-2021 biennial operating budget (ESHB 1109, section 221, subsection 48) directs the Governor’s Interagency Council on Health Disparities to convene and staff an Environmental Justice Task Force. The proviso outlines the Task Force’s membership and reporting requirements to the Legislature.
Reports & Information
- Environmental Justice Task Force Final Report - updated 1/14/21 at 3:36 p.m.
- Environmental Justice Task Force Informational Two Pager - updated, 1/14/21 at 3:38 p.m.
- Community Forum Report – Everett, September 2019
In The News
Evironmental Justice Task Force Issues Recommendations, The Nature Conservancy, Washington Nature
Community Informed Environmental Justice Recommendations, Front and Centered
- Environmental Justice Task Force Operating Principles (PDF)
- Environmental Justice Task Force Operating Principles (page)
|Governor's Interagency Council on Health Disparities||Victor Rodriguez (Co-Chair)|
|Statewide Environmental Justice Issues; Front and Centered||David Mendoza (Co-Chair)|
|Public Lands (Dept. of Natural Resources)||Cassie Bordelon||Stephanie Celt|
|Department of Commerce||Michael Furze||Sarah Vorpahl|
|Department of Ecology||Millie Piazza|
|Puget Sound Partnership||Larry Epstein||Leah Kintner|
|Department of Transportation||Allison Camden||Megan White|
|Department of Health||Laura Johnson|
|Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council||Sonia Bumpus|
|Department of Agriculture||Ignacio Marquez|
|Community Based Organization: Community to Community Development||Tomas Madrigal|
|Community Based Organization: Tacoma League of Young Professionals||Emily Pinckney|
|Community Based Organization: Asian Pacific Islander Coalition||Rowena Pineda|
|Business Interests: Association of Washington Business||Gary Chandler||Peter Godlewski|
|Union/Organized Labor Association: UAW Local 4121||Judy Twedt|
|Statewide Agricultural Interests: Washington State Farm Bureau||John Stuhlmiller|